So, I have put together a little bit more background data before I begin my inquiry (that I will consider tracking). I also will be completing the initial student voice tomorrow, and a ARB test before we begin.
I thought about looking at attendance… The following is students' overall attendance percentage for English, so far this year.
Student A - 84%
Student B - 89%
Student C - 92%
Student D - 80%
Student E - 85%
I mentioned before about our Junior Certificate, which we are using to see if we can predict preparedness for NCEA Level 1, and likelihood of achieving NCEA Level 1. We are predicting that students should score at least 18 to indicate these areas - below is an average across all subjects, and then the scores for English in the most recent report of scores.
Student A - overall: 11.7; English: 13 (declined from 23 at the first report cycle, midway through T1)
Student B - overall: 16.2; English: 17 (declined from 20 at the first report cycle, midway through T1)
Student C - overall: 14.6; English: 18 (increased from 16 at the first report cycle, midway through T1)
Student D - overall: 13.5; English: 10 (declined from 16 at the first report cycle, midway through T1)
Student E - overall: 17.7; English: 25 (declined from 27 at the first report cycle, midway through T1)
Additional notes, so far:
Student B, D, and E are assigned leaders of the pair for the upcoming unit that my Inquiry is based around.
Texts chosen for study by pair leaders (note: there were 11 options, including 2 short story options, which had 2 short stories each - 1 short story option was a NZ Maori writer)
Student A - Eg and Me [Heroes series]
Student B - Eg and Me [Heroes series]
Student C - Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Student D - Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Student E - Hatchet
Defining and Refining the focus:
I am inquiring into whether individualised learning of a written text, working through a project-type unit, alongside one other, and working towards a mark and point outcome, will help increase student engagement and achievement results, particularly in Responding to texts (including comprehension) and Writing.
Measures:
Engagement - student voice, attendance, completion and handing in of tasks and assessments, Junior Certificate
Achievement - ARBs, NZC OTJs, summative assessments - Responding to texts, writing creatively, writing formally, speech, and presenting [visually].
A point of interest
The two parents I saw last night, which as I mentioned were parents of two of my focus students, were quite interested and positive when I explained what we would be doing in the upcoming unit. Parents and students are not aware who the focus students are.
No comments:
Post a Comment