Saturday, 26 July 2014

Teaching Inquiry 2014 - Background

A 'Teaching Inquiry' is going to contribute towards my teaching reflection. It just so happens to also be part of our appraisal process at school.

There are so many things that I wanted to base my inquiry around. However, I have a low ability Year 10 class, who are seemingly disengaged (on the whole), particularly in English. They do not seem inspired to learn anything new, and almost do not see the point. Most of them HATE reading, or at least profess to. As part of our course, we have a Written text unit to study. Normally, a whole class would study the same novel/short story/poetry together. However, I just do not think that would work with this class. They are all at such differing levels, and like I said, most do not seem engaged in reading. 

So, I have decided to base my inquiry around creating a project-type-based unit (NOT the PBL I have been reading about, and am investigating and researching for future teaching, but more of a student project of a range of activities), where in pairs they will study a novel/short story chosen by the pair's 'leader', working through a range of project activities. The project is titled 'Beginning to Read to Succeed'. By individualising the learning, offering choice for students to take responsibility for their learning, and making a 'project-type' unit, I am hoping to increase students' levels of engagement in both English and reading, and improve their levels of literacy, which are currently very low (many working well below the curriculum level they should be at).

Watch this space :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment